Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad! I Love You!

Wow! Where do I even start.
My dad, my hero.
He means so much to me. Here are a few of the things I LOVE about him.

He's taught me that learning is endless. He ALWAYS has his nose in a book. I grew up always seeing my dad excited and anxious to learn more about the gospel. Scripture study is something he never misses. I know at the crack of dawn I will find him in his favorite chair studying the scriptures and then moving on to some other gospel book.

He's taught me how to use duct tape in 350 different ways including (but not limited to because there really is no end to what you can do with duct tape or in my house, grey tape) mending holes in your shoes, belting loose jeans, patching torn jeans, hemming church pants, art work, plumbing issues, fixing a broken handle on the car, putting the rear view mirror back in place, patching a hole in the boat, patching a hole in your hat, getting rid of warts.

He's taught me there is no if, only when. I can do anything I decide to do.
He's taught me to be dependable at any cost, that doing hard things makes me stronger. Never say no to a calling. Obedience is ALWAYS first priority.

Work so you can have fun. Make vacation a priority. Love your spouse. Never forget the Lord in anything. Who cares what you wear, just be glad you have something to wear. Make yourself work hard.

Wrong turns aren't really wrong turns- they are just another adventure.
He taught me to love camping, fishing, Mexico. He's the reason why I am a creative cook because, as he says, "if a little is good more is better", and that a banana in most anything tastes great (well anything, if you ask him). He helped me see the value in a long afternoon nap. He also helped me see just how quickly I could get out of bed bright and early in the morning when he poured freezing cold water over my face.

He's quiet and strong. He taught me to work hard and to not let being female limit me in any way. He expects alot from me.

He's taught me a love for giving. He's the most generous person I know. He has a humanitarian spirit that is contagious and I'm so thankful for his example. I've learned through the years from him that giving is always more fun than to receive.

Last August it was time for us to make our move to Utah. We have been best friends with my parents forever and now we had to say goodbye. After we did the last final loading of the truck we headed down the street to my parents to say goodbye. That was one of the hardest days our family has had. We stood in their kitchen and I watched my parents and my kids hug and kiss and say goodbye with many tears in their eyes. It was my turn. I looked at my dad and he reached into his wallet. If you know him you know he always carries a $100. bill neatly folded up and tucked away in the corner of his wallet, "for emergencies", he says. So he took out his $100. bill and hands it to me with tears in his eyes. I watched him take it out and like a little kid fold it up for me. Then he hands it to me and says, "put this away in a far corner of your wallet for emergencies". I took it, then we hugged and cried our eyes out together. I think that's a memory I will never forget and I told myself that I would never spend that $100. bill.

That $100 bill is gone now. Not because I wanted to but out of PURE DESPERATION. One day we were down to nothing, again, but this time we were racking up the overdraft fees faster than I could scream and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop. I found every penny we had and deposited it but we were still short. I knew that money was there but there was no way I was going to use it-- not THAT $100. bill. But that was all I had and I knew it had to be deposited. I took it to the bank crying like a baby. Not about our poor financial situation but because of how much that bill meant to me. After depositing the money the lady at the bank said, "oh, you look like you need a sucker". I wanted to punch her.

I climbed my mountain that day and cried the entire 3 miles up. I kept trying to tell myself that it was only money. But it wasn't only money. It was special to me. The value of that bill far exceeded its face value and I didn't have it anymore.
What I do have though is the memory and that can never be taken away.

I think my dad thinks I'm awesome. I hope he knows how awesome he is to me.
I love you, dad.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Lezlie,
I love your dad too! I had my own goodbyes this week and your Dad's hug was great! We sure miss you down here. Also, grey tape is best for quieting noisy, smart mouths!

Unknown said...

Hi,


Your post is fabulous. Thanks for sharing.



Chennai Bus Services